You started a business or already have one and are considering commercial office space for your start up or relocation. Consider these five things you will need to know when you find a space.
- a) Lease Terms: Most commercial spaces are Leased for 3 to 5 years. Be sure to check how long the proposed Lease term will last because this is how long you will be expected to pay monthly rent.
- b) Escalation Clauses: You also want to look for escalation clauses in the Lease. Does the rent go up by a percentage of fixed dollar amount each year at the anniversary date? These are all factors that will affect your sustainability to be current with the rent over the period of your lease term.
- c) Common areas: Check the Lease for payments expected of you for building maintenance such as property taxes, insurance, outside lighting, plowing, lawn maintenance, etc. These costs can vary and can be expensive and you will have to consider them in your monthly payments.
- Repairs and Maintenance while you occupy: Check the Lease for who is responsible for maintenance. Will you be responsible to change light bulbs or even light fixtures? Is there heating or cooling and will the Landlord be responsible to handle that, or will you? If the toilet gets clogged and overflows, will your Landlord send a Plumber, or will you be responsible.
- Location, Location, Location! Is your new-found office in a good location for you and your business? Are your clients going to be comfortable coming to due business with you? Is your location difficult to find? Is signage set up to drive people to locate your business. Are you located close to major roads and highways so that it is easy to commute to your office?
- Ample Parking: Will your clients or employees be able to park, or will they have to pay for parking? Can they park close to your office, or will they have a hard time to get in to see you?
- Office cleaning: Does your Landlord provide weekly cleaning services? Will you have to hire a service or individual to keep up on the dusting, vacuuming or trash removal?
There are a few other things to consider including your Business and Liability Insurance. Do you need office furniture or does that come included? Will you have to pay security deposits or first and last month’s rent. Additionally, you may be responsible to get your own phones, and Internet/WiFi.
At CoWorker Hub we offer an affordable alternative to all this and the benefits of a shared community. You can choose the membership that works for you. We have private offices, dedicated desks, flex desks, meeting space and a conference room for your business needs. We provide free WiFi, printing, fax machine. All utilities are included. We clean weekly and empty trash daily. We also provide complimentary coffee and tea. We are conveniently located at 900 Straits Turnpike, Suite 205, Middlebury, CT 06762. Just off Exit 17 from I-84. And Parking is convenient and free.